Our Mission Statement

“We are a Catholic Family Created by God, who follow Jesus through the celebration of the sacraments and service to others.”

 


St. Joseph Catholic Church History
1887-Present
     On a Tuesday in the Spring of 1887, the first St. Joseph Church was dedicated.  The Church dedicated that April 19 was built on land bought for $125.  Our present church (the second structure) is on the same land.  Father Lawrence Ford, our first pastor (1887-1889), could provide Mass only once a month, and then on a weekday.
     Father Ford was followed by Father Thomas A. York (1889-1892).  Father George Weiss (1892-1893), and Father William King (1893-1897).  Mass still was celebrated just once a month, but now on a Sunday.
     During his pastorate in the 1890’s, Father King established a school, hiring Miss Mary Hackett as its first teacher.  King’s successor, Father L. E. Clements (1898-1902) continued the school with twenty-five students, both Catholic and non-Catholi.  Mrs. Ella Curtsinger was the teacher.
     St. Joseph Catholic Church grew.  There were many baptisms, confirmations, weddings and funerals.  At first burials were in Fancy Farm, but then a plot of ground was donated by J. R. Blanford.  Near the turn of the century, the church added both a choir loft and a bell tower.  The bell first rang on Easter Sunday of 1900.
     In 1902, Father George Cone succeeded Father Clements, followed a year later by Father P.J. McNeil. It was during his tenure that the church added a rectory, new pews and concrete walks.
Father Anthony O’Sullivan came to St. Joseph’s in 1909, remaining until 1926. Only illness forced him to leave his beloved Church and Boy Scout troop. Father Louis Millard was appointed to succeed him, remaining until 1932. Daily Mass was begun during his pastorate.
Father J.H. Luckett served us from 1932-1937. In 1934, the parish bought the property east of the church and the Ursuline Order began the first Sister’s School.
Construction of a new church building began in 1937 under the leadership of Father Joseph Saffer. It was dedicated on May 4, 1938. Saffer remained at St. Joseph through War II until 1949, when Father Leo. J. Dienes succeeded him.
The church built a new school, completing it in 1951. Teaching Sisters lived on the third floor.
Father Clarence Pettit (1957-1963) was followed by Father Aloysius F. Powers (1963-1969). It was Father Powers who supervised the construction of the current rectory in 1964.
In August of 1969, St. Joseph Parish received a long-term Franciscan Priest who would initiate many changes inside the church building. Father Francis Mastrovito, OFM, served us about 14 years, finally departing in 1983. He was responsible for adding the beautiful Trinity mosaic behind the altar, the wooden artwork of the Lord’s Baptism and the Holy Family at the side altars and the stained glass windows. His devotion to St. Francis is still seen in the choir loft’s window.
During Mastrovito’s tenure, the church extended the children’s playground and dismantled the former church building. In its place, we built the current Parish Center.
Father John Speaks was appointed pastor in 1983 and served until 1987. Several priests served him in rapid succession: Father Peter Chiodo of the Precious Blood Order (1987-1988); Father Henry Cecil (1988-1989); and Father B.J. Hagman, (January-June, 1990).
Father Patrick Bittel was named Pastor in 1990 and served until 1996 when he was succeeded by Father Ray Clark. During Father Clark’s tenure the church bought the buildings east of the rectory, those which the house the offices for the Hispanic Ministry, the Learning Center and the St. Vincent de Paul Society.
Father Tony Jones became our pastor in June 2001, and instituted many positive programs including a reorganization of the St. Vincent de Paul Society for the needy and the Social Justice Committee. Father Jones oversaw the renovation of the church. On Thanksgiving Day 2004, Mass was offered for the first time in our newly renovated Church and in August 2005, Owensboro Diocese Bishop McRaith dedicated our new altar and lectern.
In January, 2006 Father Ken Mikulcik became our new pastor. Serving in both English and Spanish he serves a generous community of the faithful. In 2009 St. Joseph School celebrated its 75th year.
In June, 2011 Fr. Eric Riley returned to the parish as pastor when Fr. Ken Mikulcik left us to study Cannon Law in Canada.
2012 brought us to our 125th anniversary. In those many years we have seen many people celebrate the sacraments and grow in their faith in Jesus. Here at St. Joseph Parish, we honor our history and continue the tradition, celebrating the wondrous mystery of God in our lives.
As we celebrate the Jubilee Year of Mercy, 2016, we ask our Lord to bless our families and our Parish as we continue to grow in Faith, Hope, and Charity through the intercession or our dear Blessed Mother and our dear Patron Saint Joseph.